The mission of ATALM is to provide culturally relevant training and networking opportunities to meet the needs of the nation's indigenous cultural organizations. To maximize training opportunities for people engaged in sustaining and advancing indigenous culture, the Institute of Museum and Library Services is providing up to $75,000 in scholarship funding for eligible applicants to attend the 2017 conference.
Complete the online application here
The 2017 International Conference of Indigenous Archives, Libraries, and Museums takes place at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort and Spa, Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico (Outside Albuquerque). Pre-conference workshops take place on Tuesday, October 10 and conference sessions are scheduled Wednesday, October 11 and Thursday, October 12.
- Applications must be received by April 14, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. CST. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- If you cannot complete the application once you start it, you have the option to save your information and resume it later. If you choose this option, you will receive a unique link that will enable you to access your application at any time within the next 30 days. Without the link, the data you have entered cannot be retrieved and you will have to start filling out the form at the beginning. ATALM does not receive the information until you hit the “Submit” button.
- You will receive a copy of the information you submit via email. If you do not receive a confirmation, you may have entered your email address incorrectly. Before resubmitting another application, contact ATALM at firstname.lastname@example.org. If an application was received, it will be forwarded to you. Otherwise, you will need to resubmit.
- You will be notified in May 2017 as to the status of your scholarship.
Obligations of Scholarship Recipients
If you are awarded a scholarship, you will be required to:
- Sign a scholarship agreement committing to fulfilling the terms of the scholarship and meeting specified deadlines, as well as committing to funding costs not covered by the scholarship
- Attend at least seven concurrent sessions (you will be required to sign in and out).
- Volunteer at least four hours during the conference.
- Write a brief impact report.
- Must currently be a staff member with tribal archive, library, museum, or cultural programs, or
- Work with indigenous collections in non-tribal archive, library, museum, or cultural programs, or
- Be currently enrolled in a museum, library,or archival-related educational program.
Selection Criteria the Scholarship Review Committee Considers
- The extent the applicant is involved with tribal collections.
- The extent to which the applicant will benefit from the conference.
- Financial Need
- The number of applications received from the same organization. Multiple applications per organization are permitted, but typically only one scholarship is awarded to the employee or volunteer most involved with tribal collections.
- If the applicant is a United States resident. Note that IMLS funds cannot be used for non U.S. residents, but ATALM does have a very limited amount of scholarship funds for non-U.S. residents.
You may choose from three levels of financial support, with the understanding that the Scholarship Review Committee makes the final determination on the award amount.
- $300 for registration fee waiver.
- $534 for registration fee waiver and three nights shared lodging.
- $734 for registration fee waiver, three nights shared lodging, and a $250 travel stipend. Travel stipends are rarely provided. Applicants should anticipate covering their own travel.
- If awarded a scholarship, you will receive instructions on how to register. Do not register in advance of receiving your scholarship agreement, as doing so will disqualify you from receiving a scholarship.
- Scholarship registration does not cover pre-conference events or special ticketed events.
- To be eligible for lodging, you must travel at least 100 miles round trip.
- You may be assigned a roommate. If you wish to have a single room, you will be required to pay the difference of $78 per night.
- Only the room charge and taxes are covered. All other charges, such as telephone calls, movies, mini-bar, Internet connections, etc., are your responsibility.
- Registration includes two breakfasts and two luncheons.
- Per diem is not covered.
- Travel costs are rarely funded. Travel awards are capped at $250.
- If awarded travel, you will book and pay for your own travel. ATALM will reimburse you at the conference.
- Funds are not provided for local transportation, airport parking, etc.